Choosing the Right Microphone

As an Internet marketer it’s important that your viewers can hear your message clearly during an audio seminar or screen capture video. I receive lots of emails about which Mic setup I use so I decided to make a video about choosing the right microphone. There are many different types of gear to choose from these days. I’ll go over the most common setups that most people use, and you’ll also be able to listen to the “sound” of each Mic in the video.

Recommened Headset Brands

Recommend Condenser and Dynamic Microphones

Low Profile Mic Stands

Audio Mixers

Pop Filters

RCA to 3.5 mm Stereo Jack Cable

XLR Cables

Compresser/Limiter

List of Retailers

Room Treatment

If you just need something to get rid of the echo, then I would recommend affordable like the Auralex Sonomatt. It’s not as pretty. But stops the echo. Usually placed behind the computer or towards the top of the perimeter walls of the room. This is usually where the sound bounces back of forth and then comes back to the mic. If you want something that looks nicer, then I would go with the Auralex 2″ Studiofoam Pyramids:

Note: Like with any upgrades to your office, If you are unsure about something, the web has tons of valuable information on sound treatment.

There are so many good setups to have these days, these are just a few that are guaranteed to make you sound great. Hope you found this information helpful. If you have any questions, please make a comment.

-Mark Monciardini

p.s. The About page is finally finished.

Comments

1. Marilyn Gardiner

In your most recent video, in the garage, it looked like you had a mic clipped to your shirt. If so, what was the setup? (excellent video)

In addition to voice-over short videos, I also want to make short tutorials where both hands will be working with tools. Any recommendations for the kind of mic to use?

Marilyn

2. Jan

Hi Mark

Thanks for the video. I thought I was doing well getting a Blue Snowball but I may have to think again and start improving my setup.

I was also curious about the screen capture software you use on your Mac. I have Screenflow and am only just starting to get to grips with it. Do you have any tips about screen capture in general? I am familiar with Camtasia but of course it is still not available for the Mac.

Jan

3. Dave Bakke

Marko…

You left out the Samson brand of mics. The C01U USB mic is one used by many many V.O. artists… especially for the home recording studios they use. Check out the following link:

Another “great” item to cut background noise out of the recordings is offered by one of the nations most famous V.O. artists… Harlan Hogan. Check out this link for a portable sound booth (Porta-Booth) on a table top… pretty cool.

4. John

I just bought an analog headset for my laptop but it seems only the headset works and not the mic. I don’t really know why. But plugged-in to other computers, it works. Could it be my laptop is broken? Or should I try other mics and see if they work?

5. Pingback: Internet Marketing Tips, Tricks & Resources | Choose the Right Microphone for Great Audio

6. Mark

Gregg and CG,

Yes. The best way to go about it is getting the computer out of the room if you can. Unless it’s really quiet. I’ll soon be putting my computer in the closet. But I would only recommend it if the closet has an air-conditioning vent, because it will get warm. There needs to be some air flow. Or moving the computer far away from the mic as possible.

I’ll be treating my room soon. It’s going to be pretty intense. Actually that reminds me I forget to post links to treatment on this post! I will do that now. I’ll be using Auralex Wedges that can be found here:

I’m going with the 4″ type to absorb more low frequencies for other sound production.

If you just need something to get rid of the echo, then I would recommend something cheaper like the Auralex Sonomatt which can be found at:

-Mark

7. cg

Hi Mark,

Great video – thanks.

Do you also ‘control’ your room and pc to eliminate background noise? I tend to get background noise with my condenser

8. Aurelius Tjin

Great video! I just got my brand new RODE Podcaster microphone. It’s USB and doesn’t need any condensors or such, it’s all built in. The sound it produces is awesome too. I’ve also got the shockmount and stand which you attach to your table.

9. Gregg

I was actually wondering that after hearing a couple of your vids. Nice setup, you can tell the room you are in has a bit of echo but not too noticeable with your setup. Quality mic.